Meaning of Taylor’s Differential Piece Rate System
Incentive Plans For Wage Payment Workers system was introduced by F.W. Taylor, the father of scientific management. The main features of this incentive plan are as follows:
1. Day wages are not guaranteed. It does not assure any minimum amount of wages to workers.
2. A standard time for each job is set very carefully after time and motion studies.
The father of scientific management
3. Two piece rates are set for each job. The lower rate and higher rate. The lower piece rate is payable where a worker takes a longer time than the standard time to complete the work.
Higher rate is payable when a worker completes the work within the standard time Usually these rate are 83% of the piece work rate for inefficient workers and 175% of the piece work rate for efficient workers.
Advantages of Taylor’s Differential Piece Rate System
This plan provides strong incentive to efficient workers The calculation of wages is also not difficult and can be understood by the
Disadvantages of Taylor’s Differential Piece Rate System
However, this system suffers from the following workers shortcomings:
1. It severely penalizes the workers who produce slightly less than standard output.
2. It does not guarantee minimum wages.
3. It makes wide discrimination between efficient and inefficient workers and thus creates rivalry. This may weaken their unity.
Meaning of Merrick’s Differential Piece Rate System
This is a modification of Taylor’s plan. While Taylor prescribed two rates, Merrick’s plan lays down three rates.
The lowest rate is for the beginners, the middle rate is for the developing workers and the highest rate is for the highly efficient workers.
Efficiency of the workers is determined in terms of percentages. Thus the rate of remuneration are:
Level of Efficiency Piece Rate
Up to 83% Ordinary Piece Rate
83% to 100% 110% of Ordinary Piece Rate
Above 100% 120% of Ordinary Piece Rate
Like Taylor’s plan, this method also does not guarantee minimum wages. The general criticism levelled against Taylor’s plan also applies to it except that it lessens or minimizes the punitive character of Taylor’s plan.
Measurement of Efficiency = Actual Output / Std. Output x 100
Meaning of Gantt’s Premium Plan
This system was introduced by H.L. Gantt. This plan is the mixed form of Halsey and Taylor’s plan. The main features this plan are:
1. Day wages on time basis are guaranteed to all workers.
2. This plan is a combination of time rate differential piece rate and bonus.
3. A standard is set and remuneration is calculated as follows:
(a) When output is below standard-Payment at time rate.
(b) When output is at standard – Payment at time rate + 20% Bonus.
(c) When output is above standard – Payment at a high piece rate.
- What are the practical difficulties in installing cost accounting
- What is technique of Costing | Various techniques of Costing
- What is Material or Inventory Control | Techniques of Materials Control
- What is FIFO Method | advantages and disadvantages
- What is LIFO method | Advantages and Disadvantages
- What is Periodical or Annual Inventory Control System | Limitations
- Methods of Pricing Material Issues | Cost Methods
- What is Cost of Labour Turnover | Causes, Effects Classification
- What is meant by idle time | Definition, Causes, Control
- What is meaning of overtime work | Reason, Disadvantages
- HIFO method of inventory valuation |Advantages, Disadvantages
- What is two Bin System | Meaning of Bin Card and Specimen
- What is Meaning of NIFO Method | Advantages, Disadvantages
- What is Market Price Method or Replacement Price Method | Advantages, Disadvantages
- What is average cost method of Inventory valuation | Advantages and Disadvantages
- What is Meaning of Weighted Average Price Method | Advantages and Disadvantages
- Meaning of Material Losses | Types and Treatment
- What is Difference Between Waste and Scrap
- What is Meaning of Obsolete Material |Causes, Treatment and Losses
- What are Methods of Labour Remuneration | Advantages, Disadvantages
- What is Meaning of Piece Wage Rate Method | Advantages Disadvantages
- What is Meaning of Remuneration
- What is Collective Bonus Plan | Suitability, Advantages, Disadvantages
Disclaimer: www.efullform.in does not own this book, PDF Materials Images, neither created nor scanned. We just provide the Images and PDF links already available on the internet. If any way it violates the law or has any issues then kindly mail us; email@example.com